Balaleet is a traditional breakfast dish in the U.A.E that my mom, my grandma and my great grandma still make. My grandma made it for me 2 times a week when I was little. I remember helping her make it. This dish has been in my family for more than 50 years. We serve it with Arabic coffee.
Balaleet is a noodle like dish but it is sweet. We put a plain egg omelet on top. The smell of Balaleet is so nice because you can smell cardamom, saffron and rose water which makes you want to eat more but you stop yourself because it has a lot of calories.
The recipe is for 6 people.
- 1 vermicelli packet
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ½ tsp. Saffron
- 5 tbsp. unsalted butter
- ¼ cups canola oil
- 1 tsp. ground cardamom
- ½ tsp. rose water
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- First we put the oil on a hot pan and add the vermicelli and then wait till it gets a golden color.
- Then we add a big amount of water to boil the vermicelli for 2 minutes then drain the extra water.
- Put the vermicelli back in the pan on a low heat, then mix it with butter, saffron, cardamom and rose water.
- The balaleet will be ready now.
- In another pan we make a classic omelet.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Now you serve it. :}